Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Decision!

First, I'd like to tell everyone that I am very bad at spelling and writing. :)
Proceed with caution!

My Husband and I, are always exploring new ways to provide for ourselves. For example, I have a garden and grow enough tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce and potatoes for our family. (and other fun stuff, herbs etc) We also buy our beef by the cow, and stock up spending $500-$1K on dry foods from Sams. I like to be prepared and short of convincing my husband to build a fall out shelter, I think we do pretty well :)

We often shop at TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) and Feed/Farm Supply stores, and one day, walking through to pick up some welding something parts, or something. (ha!) We walked out of the store and said... Call the family in ND we are getting chickens! Just like that. So I called, and talked to a family member who has a very good sized chicken coop, and a large flock. She answered all my questions and assured us it was something we could handle. Next step was figuring out if we could have chickens or not. We live in the city limits, and a fairly new neighborhood. I hoped on the City of ********* website and checked out the city ordnance. So long as our chickens aren't "at large" we are fine. Which I read to mean, not in the front yard, crossing the street or bothering my neighbors. We did however decide against getting a Roo (Short for Rooster). I don't want to raise any fuss from neighbors with a Roo who crows at 430am.

So the decision was made, yes we were going to get a few hens. We originally came up with a coop design for 3-4 hens, and allowing them to "free range" in our backyard during the day. I think the decision was the easiest part so far. :)

Lets see where this is all heading!

No comments:

Post a Comment